Social media is the great equalizer.
It puts indie authors on par with traditional publishers when it comes to audience access and visibility.
For book promotion and positioning, social media is the cornerstone of the digital age. All publishing houses and authors are becoming increasingly aware of this and drafting exclusive strategies to manage social media engagements.
Advantages of promoting your book on social media
- Build and sustain a buzz around your book.
- Direct audience traffic to your sales page.
- Create visibility for your author branding platform.
- Leverage your existing social media networks.
- Access to the global audience at your fingertips.
- Improve your overall brand image through better recognition and recall.
Strategies to leverage social media
Here are 18 tried and tested strategies from The Books Factory that will help you leverage your social media for high impact book promotion –
- Go visual – An image is worth a thousand words. Social media posts with images are proven to achieve more audience engagement and traction than those without. You can use images from your book cover, book launch, and signings to draw reader’s attention. Don’t forget to optimise the image for different social media platforms.
- Headlines – A compelling headline that catches the reader’s eye instantly is a must to ensure that they check out your content. Headlines lead people to your posts and ultimately to your book. Readers are more likely to check out posts that have headlines arousing curiosity and answering intriguing questions.
- Use Hashtag – Using hashtag i.e. # symbol with key phrases like A book title or book theme is crucial for building a visible social media presence. The hashtag makes your content easy to search and easy to follow. Also, it helps you reach a wider audience as keywords with hashtag make it to the trending topic list – making your visibility global.
- Choose a platform – As most social media accounts are free, it is easy to overcommit yourself on multiple platforms. But, it is important to pick and choose the social media platform that is best suited to reach your target audience to avoid wastage of resources. Analyse your book’s potential market before deciding on your strategy.
- Run campaigns – Don’t go around posting random content on your social media channels. Design your posts around a cohesive theme and schedule them to create a favorable impact on your audience. Use campaigns to create and grow a deeper emotional connection with the audience.
- Paid promotion – Social media channels come with the option of promoting your page as a whole and also specific content to specific segments of the audience. All this comes at a very nominal cost and high value for money quotient. Leverage market research tools on social media to design the paid promotion activities.
- Timing – Each social media platform has peak times for audience engagement when your potential for audience engagement is at its max. Do your research regarding peak times across social media platform in relation to the content and the target audience profile. Post your content during peak times when the maximum number of people are likely to view and share.
- Build connections – For effective social media engagement, you need to build meaningful connections that go beyond just selling your book. Add value by linking your blogs or answering their questions. Repurpose your book’s research to give regular updates so that readers come back even after they have bought the book.
- Influencers – Social media is the fertile breeding ground for influencers with the niche audience. Being close-knit community with deeper connections help influencers to actually influence the purchase decisions of the followers. Identify the influencers relating to your industry and book topic, to collaborate for wider and deeper audience engagement.
- Engage – Don’t limit your interaction to just one-sided posting. Create space for active engagement by asking questions, inviting questions from the audience, and hold ‘ask anything’ expert sessions.This helps readers connect with you at a human level and also establishes your credibility and expertise.
- Events – Promote significant milestones like book launch, media appearances or reaching certain sales numbers on your social media page. You could also share your speaking engagements and book signings so that readers can like the event and attend it. Tie up free giveaways to these events to make them more memorable.
- Focus on value – Keep your message about what tangible value and outcome your readers can get, instead of how well written your book is. The existence of your book is not enough- readers should know what they can use it for. Share reviews and endorsements that highlight specific real-life outcomes and benefits of your book.
- Customize your content – As with traditional media, it is important to tailor the type and tone of your content to optimise different social media channels. For instance, make your tweets short and punchy while keeping your blog’s information-rich.
- Redirect audience – Use social media platforms as the launchpad for your online author branding platforms. Use links to create visibility for your author website, blog, and video channel.
- Go video – Video is the future of digital communication. It is also more likely to be viewed than any other form of content. You could use the live streaming feature to create space for innovative engagement. Similarly sharing your book trailer will be more effective than a lengthy article about your book.
- Stay online – Social media presence is incremental rather than immediate. To build a robust profile and leverage it, it is not enough to engage only when your book is up for release. You have to start early and stay consistent to remain on the minds of the audience.
- Collaborate with bloggers – The blog audience is not only large in number but more actively engaged. Those millions of audience are just a click away from sharing your book on their Twitter or Facebook
- Embed share buttons – When you give away sample chapters or sections of your book, embed social media share buttons in them. This helps readers to instantly share it instantly on social media. This word of mouth endorsement will be more authentic and reliable.
Why should you entrust your social media promotion to a professional?
Successful book promotion on social media is the culmination of coherent and coordinated series of complex activities. Not only are the activities numerous but are time-consuming and resource intensive. Thus arises the need for a professional who can ease your burden without compromising on your message.
Your best bet is to include social media promotions as part of the publishing package with your publishing agency. Ensure that you establish concrete outcome standards beforehand for greater accountability and effectiveness.
Don’t let social media become the Achilles heel of your book promotion strategy. To know more about how you can leverage your social media schedule a free 30-minute strategy call with The Books Factory.