The advent of tech into publishing has single-handedly democratized the publishing industry.
Most of the writers who come to us at The Books Factory think that the technology advantage is limited to ebooks or audiobooks. We take great pleasure in telling them about how digital tech has leveled the playing field in a single masterstroke with Print on Demand.
The traditional offset printing system was highly prohibitive to independent authors as it demanded upfront investment, stocking and inventory charges and distribution expenses. Consequently, writers had to sell a large number of copies just to break even.
But, over the last 15 years, the focus of writing books shifted from pure sales to different business and promotional objectives. With this shift, came the need for systems that catered the new breed of writers who operated majorly with Books and used hard copies only for promotional purposes. Print on Demand was the digital solution to the dilemmas of the independent authors.
So, what is Print on Demand?
As the name suggests, Print on Demand is the publishing system under which books are printed and shipped only against the order by the buyers. The printers handle printing, binding, packaging, and shipping. You could get as little as 10 or as many as 500 books, or even a single copy printed at a time at the same printing cost per book.
Print on Demand is the ideal option for academics, authorpreneur and hobby writers who aim to capture a niche market with their books. Flexible printing and distribution systems make their books available in print without significant upfront investment or hassles over logistics of storage and shipping.
Why Print on Demand?
Writing and publishing a book in hard copy or physical form has been made surprisingly cost and time sufficient for authors with print on Demand –
- Even with the increasing popularity of Ebooks, a hard copy is still associated with significant prestige and credibility. Print on Demand gives the writers access to this influence without compromising on the economics.
- Print on Demand has opened up the markets for niche book writers. For instance, an entrepreneur can print hard copies and circulate his book exclusively among his clients.
- Writers can make edits and published the revised versions without any hassle, time gaps or expenses.
- Print on Demand is the most cost-effective for indie or self-published authors as there is no upfront investment.
- Under Print on Demand, cost of printing and distribution is paid by the buyer at the time of the sale. Moreover, there are no inventory charges. So, authors can keep their books in circulation for longer periods.
- You can have your book listed on websites and sellers around the world which expands your market exponentially.
- You can get your books printed for personal use like for selling/handing out at speaking engagement or book promotions etc. as and when the need arises.
- As the printer will print, package and ship the book, authors need not worry about distribution channels.
- One of the significant grouse about self-publishing was the quality of books. But, Print on Demand uses a cutting-edge laser print technology that puts the books on par with the offset copy.
- Print on Demand is a highly efficient online selling tool as distribution and stocking costs are nil.
- Most Print on Demand publishers offers archival services – so every title is always in print.
- Print on Demand is environmentally friendly – as resources like trees are not engaged in producing a vast quantity of dead stock.
How Print on Demand works – Ordered, printed, Delivered
Print on demand is a straightforward process that is hassle-free for the publishing company, authors, and sellers.
- The writer sends the digital copies of the manuscript and covers to the publisher along with specifications of paper quality and book size.
- The digital copies are logged into Print on Demand publisher’s system, examined for errors, and a proof copy is made ready for publishing.
- The book is listed on the websites of author and sellers.
- The reader finds the book on the websites like Amazon and orders it.
- Computers pull the relevant book file and send to digital printers.
- The book is printed, bound and shipped to the reader.
What are the cost components of Publishing on Demand?
How much will it cost you to get your book published under Print on Demand depends on the following 3 components –
- Book type – dimension, number of pages, graphics, images, colors etc.
- Volume – the number of books (This is only an overall cost component and does not affect the price of the individual book).
- Shipping location of the reader(The distance between the reader and price of the book are directly related).
The Books Factory advantage
Even Though the Print on Demand seems simple and doable, writers often work with a publishing agency for printing function. Here are six distinct advantages that an established publishing agency like The Books Factory brings to the table-
- Print on Demand or printing is not a stand-alone function and needs to be done in congruence with all other publishing functions. So, a publishing agency can bring the greater sense of cohesiveness.
- It will be a cost-effective solution as Many agencies include Print on Demand as part of their total service package and save your time and resources.
- No matter how good the publishing is, the content of the book is still paramount. As such publishing agency can help you produce a high-quality book right from idea and writing stage.
- The content of your book needed to be packaged in right layout and adorned with the right cover. A publishing agency will have the latest market research and industry research on ‘what is hot’ and can help you make crucial decisions about a type of paper, number of images, etc.
- The Books Factory with its exhaustive experience in printing for diverse niche authors can recommend cost-effective printers for your book.
- Your publishing agency can take care of the quality control measures and ease your burden.
To know more about how Print on Demand can help you in achieving your writing and publishing dreams, schedule a free 30-minute strategy call with The Books Factory by Clicking Here.